Orange Chicken ~ Asian Inspired
I Guarantee that you will be blown away!
You’re hungry and you want to make an exceptional meal for your family or a sweet appetizer for friends! This Orange Chicken sauce will leave you wondering why you have waited so long to explore cooking Asian inspired meals in the first place.
Now, there are ways to go around this such as the frying of the chicken nuggets and all, and I have a copy cat recipe for Chic fil’a that I will share soon. Until then, I have shared a simple chicken nugget recipe that stays crisp with this sauce. You can use it for beef, shrimp and even vegetable stir fry.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoon chili powder, or more, to taste
- 2 tsp Burman hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (black pepper works too)
- To make the marinade, whisk together chicken broth, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, orange zest, Sriracha, ginger and white pepper in a large bowl.
- In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine chicken and 2/3 cup of the marinade; marinate for at least 30 minutes, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade.
- Heat remaining marinade in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and stir in 2 tablespoons cornstarch combined with 2 tablespoons water. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened about 1-2 minutes; keep warm.
- Working one at a time, dip the chicken into the eggs, then dredge in remaining 1 cup cornstarch, pressing to coat.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Working in batches, add chicken and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; discard excess oil.
- Serve chicken immediately, tossed or drizzled with the marinade, garnished with sesame seeds and green onion, if desired.